[et_pb_section fullwidth=”off” specialty=”off”][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”About Our Parish” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left”]
About Our Parish
Efforts to establish a Catholic church in Green Tree began in November, 1930. The men of the parish converted a frame building located at Mansfield and Greentree Road into a church.
On January 5, 1931, the Bishop of Pittsburgh, Hugh Boyle, approved a mission parish of St. Martin Parish in the West End. The Baker brothers won the privilege of naming the new parish. They chose to call it St. Margaret. Their mother’s name was Margaret. It was a good choice! Like their mother, Saint Margaret, Queen of Scots, was a really special woman. Visit our Saint Margaret of Scotland page.
The first Mass at the new St. Margaret Mission Parish was held on May 3, 1931. There were 150 families in the parish covering all the territory between Noblestown and Banksville Roads and the length and extent of Green Tree Borough.
The people of this mission church opened St. Margaret School in the fall of 1931. They invited the Sisters of Divine Providence from Allison Park to staff their new school. The first graduating class was in 1933. Visit our School Page.
On July 27, 1938, St. Margaret officially became a parish, separate and distinct from any other.
In 1951, a number of houses were scheduled for the wrecking ball to make way for the construction of the Penn-Lincoln Parkway. The parish purchased one such house, the residence of Joseph Johnson, and moved the structure to the parish property where it became the new home of the Divine Providence Sisters. That building later became the the parish rectory, the building in which our pastor and parochial vicar live and serve the needs of St. Margaret’s parishioners.
On November 9, 1952, a new school and church were dedicated. From 1952 to 1980, one part of that building served as a house of worship. When our present modern church was built, this part of the building was converted to a gymnasium, which is named after the first pastor, Father McDonough.
Read our Mass Schedule. Come and worship with us!
You can learn more about the early history of our parish in the book Growing Up Golden: A 50-year History of St. Margaret Parish, Green Tree, PA by Patricia Hrebik Goulding, which is on file in Carnegie Library.